I feel like one of the perks of becoming a mother was that I gained all this wisdom (through plenty of trials and tribulations) about weeding out the fluff kiddo products from the ones that are life-changing! There’s nothing more fun than buying baby gifts for new moms that may evoke tepid reactions initially but become a holy grail when duty calls! Here are my favorite 5 items to include when shopping for a new mama:
1) The FridaBaby Nasal Aspirator for when snotty mucus is clogging up poor baby’s nose and wrecking havoc on everyone’s sleep. Of all the peculiar things I’ve had to do since becoming a mother, sucking snot out of my kids’ nose is pretty high on the list.
2) The Seventh Generation Free & Clear Baby Wipes, Thick & Strong are the hardest working wipes in the world. Until you’ve had to clean meconium off someone’s butt, you have no idea how important it is to have sturdy wipes!
3) The Hello Baby Baby Monitor is what I used with both my boys because it was unbreakable (seriously, they tried…a LOT!), inexpensive and did the job of dissipating 3% of my new-mom-anxieties really well.
4) These Dr. Brown’s Wide-Neck Bottles worked really well with my boys’ tummy issues and I always recommend moms start with these chubby bottles.
5) These aden + anais swaddle blankets are so incredibly soft that everyone always wonders if they are made in adult sizes (they’re not). The price is steep but worth it and after my kids grew out of the swaddling phase, we used them as burp clothes.